Ah, millennials – the generation everyone loves to hate. In most of us, the word “millennial” causes a strong reaction, whether good or bad.
But who are they really?
Who are the millennials?
Millennials are people who grew up in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. The digital age was sweeping the nation during their childhood and early adult lives, making them an extremely connected group of people. Their younger years were also characterized by reports of terrorism, wars, growing political divides, and tightened security. And let’s not forget about the economic recession in 2008, an event that made it difficult for newly graduated millennials to enter the workforce.
All these influences play a role in how this generation spends their money.
Millennials as consumers
The millennial generation is currently between the ages of 23 and 38, which means they are the ideal target demographic for LASIK.
What are some of their consumer habits?
- This is a generation that grew up with technology changing every day. For millennials, high quality tech isn’t a bonus – it’s expected.
- Since this generation is used to instant communication, they have extremely high customer service standards.
- Millennials are often loyal. In fact, 77% of them participate in loyalty rewards programs. You might want to start something like this in your practice.
- Since millennials have high standards regarding customer service, 74% of them would switch to a different retailer or brand after a negative experience. A good first impression, knowledgeable staff, and a good follow-up plan will go a long way.
People may want to roll their eyes at the high standards that Millennials have established, but these standards are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
Millennials on the internet
Some millennials grew up with the internet – others started using it when they were middle or high school. Regardless of when they started using it, however, millennials stand out in their technology use.
For this demographic, digital marketing is a must.
- Millennials tend to favor online communications over phone or in-person communications. Practices can benefit from expanding their scheduling methods to include an online tool to maximize LASIK consultations.
- Millennials prefer online advertisements that are restrained, targeted, and relevant to their interests.
- More than half of millennials (63%) use ad blockers. Be careful with those banner ads!
- Make sure your website is optimized for mobile devices! 92% of millennials have smartphones, compared to 85% of Gen Xers and 67% of baby boomers.
- 63% of millennials follow brands on social media. If you don’t have a social media presence, you’re missing out!
If your practice want to succeed with LASIK, you’ll need to understand this generation. Hopefully, this blog can provide you with a head start.