Generation Z, the newest generation, is defined by the Pew Research Center as people born between 1997 and 2012. The oldest of them have just started entering the workforce, making them both current and future LASIK prospects.
Gen Z as consumers
What’s the best way to market LASIK to people in Gen Z?
- Consumers from Gen Z tend to prefer brands that demonstrate social responsibility. Can a LASIK patient donate their old eyewear? Do doctors and staff volunteer around the city?
- More than half identify themselves as deal hunters. Maybe it’s time to have a Facebook contest for free LASIK.
- People in Gen Z prefer products over experiences, unlike millennials who tend to overwhelmingly favor experiences. When marketing LASIK, focus on your cutting edge technology and how they’re getting the best treatment available.
- Since 63% of Gen Z consumers say recommendations from friends are the most trusted source, a strong referral system is a must.
Gen Z and the internet
Unlike millennials, this whole generation is native to the digital world. None of them lived in a world without technology. Because of this, digital advertising is key.
- Most people in Gen Z (79%) experience symptoms of emotional distress when kept away from their personal electronic devices.
- 84% of people in this generation multitask with a digital device while watching television.
- People in Gen Z use their smartphones more often than they watch television or use laptops. Make sure your website is optimized for mobile users!
- People in Gen Z tend to hop around from one social network to the next, so stay agile.
With virtually everyone online, clinics must have a clear, engaging presence on multiple platforms to maximize their reach.
Members of Gen Z are socially conscious, digitally savvy, and interested in saving money.
As more and more Gen Z enter into the workforce and consumer markets, businesses will get better insights into this cohort. In the meantime, don’t neglect this generation when you market LASIK.